I was going to be named either "Jessica" or "Wendy". Luckily, my parents chose "Wendy", not after Peter Pan or the Association Song, "Windy" but from "Wendy" which is a Beach Boys song on their Endless Summer album. I've liked it ever since I've had it..wouldn't change it for the world.
My given birth middle name is "Francis". If you look at my facebook posts, you'll see that some people refer to me as "Francis" and that is what I was sorta know as during my first half of my freshman year in undergrad on the Marching Band field. It has to do with my full name, "WENDY FRANCIS KING" being listed in the student directory when one of my fellow trombone mates was trying to call me. She started calling me "Francis" and it has still stuck. I was actually given my middle name after my late maternal grandfather, Gerald Francis. Since I never met him, I often think that I was given the middle name "Francis" after Francis of Assisi, which my Mom, being a good Catholic, absolutely loves the song "Prayer of St. Francis" that is heard from time to time in mass.
And I pray it every day on my way to work...here it is if you don't know it:
- Lord, make me an instrument of your peace;
- where there is hatred, let me sow love;
- where there is injury, pardon:
- where there is doubt, faith;
- where there is despair, hope
- where there is darkness, light
- where there is sadness, joy
- O divine Master,
- grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
- to be understood, as to understand;
- to be loved, as to love;
- for it is in giving that we receive,
- it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
- and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.