Sunday, July 25, 2010

Fru's Ghetto French Toast Bake


Look Pop Pop!! Another one for the bebeh book!!

Fru's Ghetto French Toast Bake:

Preheat oven to 350

1/2 loaf of french bread (I used italian bd from Aldi's)
4 eggs
1 1/2 c of milk (I used skim)
4 teaspoons of sugar (I used Ghetto sugar from wallyworld..ie splenda)
1/4 t of salt
1/2 t of vanilla
2 t of melted butter
cinnamon sugar

Cube the bread, I didn't b/c I'm lazy. I thawed it in the micro and sliced it. Sprayed a glass dish w/ Pam and then laid out the slices.

Beat eggs, milk, sugar, salt & vanilla and pour over bread.

Bake uncovered @ 350 for 45 minutes.

Remove and baste top w/ butter (I took the stick o' butter and just rubbed it sparingly on top)
Sprinkle generously w/ cinnamon sugar.

Put back in le oven for 5 minutes, remove & get ur eat on'!

** I call this Ghetto french toast b/c I used as many cheap ingredients that I could get my hands on. the recipe actually came from e-mealz in the meal planner for Aldi's. I think I crunched the number for this and this pan made 8 servings at about 210 cals a serving(crunched for the recipes that I used). Not friendly for those trying to follow a low glycemic index diet but an easy peasy bake that I'll definitely keep in mind for cooler weather. I'm thinking that a serving paired w/ plain yogurt would be a nice change to get enough protein in but this is a treat you'd want to indulge in every now and then**

Fru-french-toast-freak, OUT!

No comments: