Thursday, October 4, 2007

A great book and better boundaries


Meet the book that's rocking my world! Suggested to me by my therapist, it's a tale about a young woman finding herself. Her references to her constant companions of Depression and Loneliness took my breath away. I'm savoring every page and trying, trying to read it slowly.

I've also had the realization, although I had suspected it, that I am working too much and too hard. I freaked out when betterhalf officially lost his job at the end of July and went full throttle into my practice. Now I don't want to do that anymore...there is no need.

Sooo..I'm writing out my boundaries here, in an offering to the universe and to also encourage my readers to keep me honest and ask me about them:


  • I will only work late on Mondays and Wednesday. I will work util 7 PM.
  • My phone will be turned to silent when I am home in the evenings.
  • I will continue to do supervision, peer supervision, and therapy.
  • I will not start a DBT skill group until the beginning of the year.
  • I will not take on any new clients until the beginning of the year. (holy shit, this is scary).
  • If you make an appointment with me, don't show up, and then try to see me again, I'm not going to do it.
  • I will be paid for my time, even if it means that you have to kick out $60-80 of your own green to meet your deductible.
  • I will take Zumba, funky aerobics, on Tuesdays and Thursdays. If I like it more than Jazzercise, I'll take a break from Jazzercise.
Okay, wish me luck. These things written above are a necessity for me if I am to stay in a field that devours good therapists. So please ask me how I'm doing b/c I need help in taking care of me...and I know that I'll be tempted to overwork.

Enjoy your Thursday! Go Cocks!

1 comment:

Ron Wertz said...

I'm sorry to hear your "better half" lost his job. He was a cop wasn't he? It's easy to get too wrapped up in work, you certainly need some Fru time! Hope everything is well!

-EuroRon-