Saturday, March 3, 2007

Beach bound again


Headed down to HHI this AM w/ the world's coolest nephew to go visit my Pap Pap. He's been in the hospital for a while and much needs to be done around the house to help my grams.

The idea of our family leaving Hilton Head is hard for me to even comprehend. We first visited the island in 1984, when our family lived in Macon, GA and my grandparents were up in Bowie, MD. My Grandparents retired to the island in the early 90's and have been there ever since. Hilton Head is a second home to me. I spend many summers there, working to save up money for college. It's a place that is spiritual and special. The bike paths that I used to ride on w/ my Pap Pap. The bike paths that I used to rollerblade on with Johnathon. The fact that in the very near future, this place will no longer be there for me as a haven is just..well..heartbreaking. Somehow these trips mean more now...the salty air in my car as I drive from the mainland onto the island is one of life's pleasures. And a gift I'll work even harder to hold on to.

No comments: